Italian Tomato Sauce For Pasta Dishes
A basic sauce for pasta or a nice tomato base for any meat dishes. Easy to freeze and use when you want
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cans of Chopped Tomatoes, chopped with their liquid
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, bay leaf, oregano, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stir constantly until the sauce begins to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 5 minutes or so to prevent the sauce on the bottom of the pot from burning. Taste and season with additional salt, if desired. Remove the bay leaf before serving.