Coconut Curry Cashew Chicken
Saucy coconut curry chicken with sweet red peppers, tender potatoes, and crunchy cashews made right in your slow cooker!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 small potatoes (I used red), peeled and chopped
- ½ white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (or one 14-ounce can + ½ cup chicken broth)
- 3 tablespoons sharwoods curry powder (see note)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- optional: corn starch slurry (see note)
- cashews, corriander, cooked rice for serving
Fry chicken pieces, red peppers, potatoes, and onions in an oven prove dish or pan until chicken is browned.
In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into dish on top of chicken and stir to coat chicken and veggies. Cover and bring to the boil, remove to oven and cook for 45-60 mins in oven at 180 degrees or until veg are cooked.
About 10-15 minutes before serving, stir in coconut milk. Stir just before serving and top with cashews and freshly chopped corriander.
*If you have red curry paste on hand, I like to swap out 1 tablespoon of curry powder for 1 tablespoon of the red paste. You can also add up to 1 tablespoon of garlic powder for an extra flavour boost.
*If you prefer a little bit thicker curry (like I do) whisk together 3 tablespoons cold water and 2 tablespoons corn starch. Stir into pot about 10 minutes before serving and cook until ready to serve